Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My Image

I am not one of those introspective types who always look inside of them for answers to what should be or what not should be. But like them, I get a little concerned about my image. What do people look at when they see me? I like to have a buffer zone, a space free of my personal self, for people to invade and I can interract with them. I can be a little relaxed in this zone, and it is a bit more comfortable for other people to be in.

I am getting somewhere here...If you are a type of person who is very intense, you might make people uncomfortable to be with you. Create a bit of a buffer zone. This area is where people's first impressions come from. Instead of wearing your favorite pink shirt that has an elephant puking, maybe settle with a neutral gray shirt for a night out on the town.

If you are sensitive to the smell of deoderant and don't like the fumes plugging up your nose, compromise with your future boss on the first interview and wear some. If showering every day makes your skin dry out, then only shower when you are going to be in public, and then on the weekend, let your hair down a little and live the easy life.

Hey, it takes all kinds of people for this world to exist. Without me, the garlic presses would make a little less money. Traditionally, garlic-scented breath is unpleasant for other people. So I brush my teeth to help the other folks out!

I thought about this topic today at work when some people passed by my little office area. I was hoping that they wouldn't go in because they would have seen a tome of Shakespeare's classics, two books on how to play the piano, and some comic on my computer screen. Talk about nerdy.

So the moral of the story is, don't wear your personal self out in public. Be yourself, but have a buffer zone where you and others can mingle freely without embarrasment.

Thanks for reading! e-mail me at: not.a.pipe.dream@gmail.com
-David

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful thoughts david